Together the class will make a miniature working circus. Students will work in pairs to make miniature circus acts. Each act will be 30 seconds long. An animated GIF will be created for each project on the day of the Critique.
You will perform your act on critique day. You may use any materials that you think are appropriate for your idea- cardboard, wire, hair, etc. Do not use STORE BOUGHT TOYS unless they have been altered 70%.
We will set up on a table in front of the black wall, so scale your pieces accordingly (2' x 2' x 2'). Each pair of students will create an act that is unique to the class with their partner.
Artist Inspiration: AlexanderCalder's Circus
Soundtrack for your Act:
Your act will use the following song for the background music:
5/4 Intro next assignment #14: Work in pairs to plan your Miniature Circus Act
5/11 Work in class on #14- Homework due. Come to class prepared to work!
Detailed sketches for choreography, most materials, 50% finished project
5/18 Crits for #14: Performances due. Record Gifs
5/4: Introduction to Project #14 and work in class.
Work in class with your partner to begin brainstorming ideas. For our next class (5/11) you MUST bring sketches, materials, and your circus act 50% complete.
This is what 50% looks like:
1. Stage set is well under way. You have a banner, platform, and backdrop started and you have the materials with you to finish in class. You can use anything to make these. Cardboard with paint and collage could be a good start.
2. Performers are partially made (what will you need to finish them?)
3. Props- started and materials with you to finish them.
4. Lighting is thought about. What will you use? Your cellphones? Flashlights? stationary or moving? need a spotlight (could you cut something to fit over your phone)?
5. Animation- How will you move your performers? How will you construct them? They can be puppets, or dolls, or marionettes- How will you control them? wire? string? magnets? hand puppet?
6. Music and Narrative- How will you use the music? What is going to happen??? THIS IS THE MAIN THING :)
5/18: CRIT DAY- Performances due in class.
Final critique for this project will be an actual performance recorded in a GIF animation.
Sofia and Helen: Aerial Hoop Performers
Amarise and Antonella: Tiger in the fire hoop
Samantha and Pablo: Clowns Act I
Nathaniel and Abby: Horse-drawn Carriage
Coco and Cherline: Flying Trapeze
Amy and Mia: Lion-Tamer with a Twist
Fabio and Katherine: Elephant on a Tightrope
Alexia and Lauren: Contortionists
Daniela and Caroline: Clown Act II
Ana, Naomi and Camila: Bear juggling on a Unicycle
Maddix and Joaquin: Man Shooting out of a Cannon
Thomas and Sebastian: Clowns coming out of a Car
Amber and Patrick: Ringmaster and the Lion
Nick and Fabien: