Friday, December 12, 2008

Homework due 12/19/08

Part 1: Think of a sculpture that you've seen on one of our class field trips this year. If you need help, go to the blog posts for the MAM field trip or the Art Basel field trip. Make a detailed sketch of this sculpture, including every detail you can remember. Sculptures have many sides, so you will need to sketch more than one side.

In class, you were given a handout about the elements & principles of composition. If you don't have it, the information can be found here: http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/content/3902/

Part 2: Write a one paragraph formal analysis of the sculpture. Start with the focal point of the object, where your eye falls first. Select three elements or principles that are most strongly represented in the piece. What did the artist include in the composition that guides your eye to certain parts of the object?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I won't be in school on the 19th.

Anonymous said...

You can leave it with Mr. L on the 18th.
_ms.g

Anonymous said...

This is Carlos Devin F. I tried showing you guys the assignment on friday but I couldnt find you guys when I had my skecthbook ready. Whats an email address that I can use to email you my assignment. NOTE: I also have photos of a new soft sculpture I made that I need to show you.

sculpture class said...

Hi Devin,
You can send your homework and pictures to nwssculpture9 (at) gmail.com

Anonymous said...

heya! this is spikie. I tried to scan the drawings i made, but my new computer kept showing errors. heres the critique though:
A sculpture at art basel that caught my eye was the anime-style chicken girl. what stuck out to me at first was it's form. The figure was constituted out of soft, rounded shapes. Also, the vibrant use of color made it stand out. The bottom of the girl was bright greens reds and browns, while he uper body was white. she also had bright red hair in a simplified, modern shape. these bright colors accented the feathery texture of the lower half of the girl and her rooster tail (which i found strange for a girl chicken). also clear, delicate lines (dark in color) helped to bring out her eyes agaist her white skin, while her lips were painted bright red.
THe pose of the girl as curious and interesting, enticing the viewer to lok more into it.

~spikie

Anonymous said...

Hey this is Devin again. I was wondering when we peform for juries if I need to take a photo of each of my sculptures because I am currently at my house and most of my work is at another home for storage and I wont be able to retrieve them by Tuesday which is my jury day. So im not sure if you guys are going to bring in the pictures that Mr. L took during each critique so the other judges can see it.

sculpture class said...

Devin,
It is best to bring your work to juries. Your teachers can judge your progress better from your artwork than from pictures, especially your 3D projects.
Ms. G